Several years ago I read a great book called “Rich Dad Poor Dad” and I had what I can only describe as an epiphany!
I suddenly realised that I had to change my mindset from one of working for a living in a job that I no longer enjoyed, to one of educating myself about investing and to start to create financial freedom for myself and my family.
I realised that I had been drifting through life but not really going anywhere.
My good life was getting in the way of a GREAT life!
I was totally in MY COMFORT ZONE!
So what is the comfort zone?
My comfort zone was a life of mediocrity!
I was just living an average comfortable life.
I was earning pretty good money, I had a house and some savings, but I had some bad debt and I was a long way off where I needed to be financially.
I could see that if I kept going the way that I was I would have to keep working in this job I pretty much hated for another twenty or thirty years, and even then I didn’t know if I would have enough to retire comfortably.
But in my mind I was doing “okay”
Life was good, or so I thought, but I wasn’t stretching myself or growing.
I had to ask myself was I really happy?
I certainly wasn’t where I thought I should of been financially!
I realised then that I was letting my good life get in the way of having a great one.
I was living in THE COMFORT ZONE!
So how did I escape the comfort zone?
First I realised that I could no longer go on the way that I was and that I wanted to live a great life and change my financial situation.
So I followed these five-steps.
- Decide – The number one thing that I did was make the decision that I would change my life and financial situation. I made a commitment to myself that I would eventually become a millionaire!
- I got mad – I made a list of all the things I wouldn’t stand for any longer. Things such as being in debt, working away from my family in a job that I hated, not being able to provide for my family the way I wanted, all my doubts and fears etc.
- Decided what I DID want – I set goals and targets for what I did want in my life in all areas, financial, health, relationships and personal. The main reason people get stuck in their comfort zones is that they just drift through life without working out what they really want. Then they wake up after twenty years like I did and wonder where their life has gone. If you don’t know where you want to go how are you ever going to get there?
- I got educated – I read all the books about finance, money and investing as well as personal development. The best investment you can ever make is in your own mindset! I went to seminars, did online courses and found mentors, coaches and like-minded people to bounce ides off and to hold me accountable to my goals.
- I took action – I invested in property and shares, I made mistakes but I corrected a long the way. I kept taking action and eventually I started my own online business. Action breeds confidence and gets results!
So now it’s your turn
I challenge you to escape your comfort zone!
Turn your good life into a great one and take control of your financial destiny!
Follow my five-steps… Decide you want more, get mad at what you will no longer stand for in your life, set goals for what you do want, educate yourself and take MASSIVE ACTION!
Make mistakes, correct on the way and NEVER GIVE UP!
ESCAPE YOUR COMFORT ZONE!
If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.
Until next time, I am John W. Newman and always remember…
Dream It… Believe It… Then Achieve It!